Replens is a vaginal moisturizer designed to lubricate the vaginal area for more comfortable intercourse.
Vaginal dryness is a common problem for many women today, and it can be linked to menopause, medications and stress. The condition makes sex uncomfortable and even painful for some women and impacts other areas of daily life. Finding a method for keeping the vaginal walls lubricated improves intimate relations and minimizes the uncomfortable symptoms that are often related to dryness.
Like other vaginal lubricant products on the market, Replens is a topical solution that is applied directly to the area with easy-to-use applicators.
What is Replens?
Replens is a topical solution that contains a variety of lubricating ingredients, including purified water, mineral oil, glycerin and hydrogenated palm oil. The primary ingredient, which consists of nearly 80% of the entire formula, is the purified water.
Replens is created to slowly release water through a special bio adhesive polymer so it gets to the areas of the vagina that need it most.
The product is hormone free and contains no animal derivatives. The formula is designed to actually adhere to the vaginal walls, so lubrication continues for up to three days at a time.
In addition to more comfortable sex, the extra lubrication can reduce the incidence of yeast infections and other types of vaginal disorders.
As a topical solution, there is no concern over Replens interacting with other medications or medical conditions, making it a good lubrication option for most women.
Who Should Use Replens?
The most common candidate for Replens is the women in her menopausal years who is experiencing vaginal dryness as a result of lower estrogen levels in her body. However, women who have just gone through childbirth or are breast feeding may also experience significant vaginal dryness. Some medications can result in dryness as well, and if there is not another drug option to try, external lubrication of the vaginal walls may be a good alternative.
Since Replens product is not taken internally, it is relatively safe for every woman to use. However, it is always a good idea to check with your doctor before using a product like Replens to ensure there are no unwanted side effects to worry about.
Pros of Replens
- Replens is a topical solution consisting of safe, natural ingredients
- The formula contains no hormones or animal derivatives
- The product is readily available and readily inexpensive
- The applicators included in the kit are very easy to use
- Most women do not experience many side effects from using Replens
- Replens is compatible with condom use
Cons of Replens
- Because the product is a topical solution, it does not increase libido or stamina
- Some women have experienced "clumping" and discharge after using Replens
- Replens does not contain spermicide, so it is not an effective contraceptive
- Replens does not repair the lining or replace lubrication, so it must be used regularly to maintain positive results
- Women should use Replens on a regular schedule, rather than simply prior to intercourse, in order for the product to work best